24 August 2009

Nella (that's Allen backwards)


My life has been filled with bizarre, sometimes comical experiences, most of them thanks to my dad.

Growing up, my dad basically used me as a vehicle for "collecting" things that were not appropriate for a man of his age, or any age, to collect. Over the years, I have been the proud co-owner of the following, in no particular order: madame alexander dolls, pez, stamps, coins, disney snow globes and marc jacobs purses.

As a child, we would spend Saturday mornings together (a tradition that would last until college). Besides teaching me about music, my dad used this time to grow my (ok, his) collections. We would often go on long searches for the perfect madame alexander doll . Just in case your father did not do the same, think creepy porcelain people that watch you while you sleep.

In college, Amie (more about her later) and I went abroad to Barcelona. One day before we left, my dad woke us up at 10am to tell us we were going to Disneyland. Here he was, planning a day trip when his favorite activity is really watching the food network. As soon as we get there, he declares that we are now to be referred to as “Team Tigger.” My dad loves Tigger. No idea why. Anyway, throughout the day he winds in and out people, speeds up, ducks into bathrooms, hides in stores and other shenanigans. Now if this was anyone other than my dad, I would have questioned it but with him, nothing seems weird. After hours of rides and a quick trip to Knots Berry Farm (my dad said we need to experience a real scary ride), my dad reveals that this was a “mission” to discover if we were ready for Barcelona. My dad had taken us to Disneyland to “test” us, see how we handle crowds, and how we react in new territories.

No comments:

Post a Comment