24 August 2009

The Story Behind the Anchor

If you are reading this and you do not already know, you may be wondering, “where did this lovely, witty and slightly mysterious title come from?” So, let me tell you…..

I may or may not have a friend who I pay to hang out with me and perhaps the best way to explain it all is through dialogue---


Paid Friend: …I just think that sometimes it’s really hard for you to be confident in your instincts. Although you are strong-willed, you seem to get stuck in the whole processing thing because you have no real anger. That anger can really help guide you. Of course you need to factor in a lot of other things—how you are going to feel later, all the data you have gathered, etc but without a real anger it’s so hard to be confident in the choices you have made.. It’s not a lost cause by any means; it’s just something we need to work on it. We are going to focus on strengthening your anger.


Me: Really? I mean I know that I can be unaware of my feelings at times but I feel like I have so much it practically oozes out of me. I mean, if I were being truly honest, I might even say I have too much. I was thinking I needed to get rid of it. I know all these Buddhist books are a bit…ummm….trendy and touchy feely, but I was thinking there was some validity in them. I think it may be good to be more zen-like and work on releasing some of that anger.”

Paid Friend: I said ANCHOR. You need to build an inner anchor. Not anger. A-N-C-H-O-R. And yes….you do have a lot of anger.


And so, I have been looking for my anchor ever since….

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention the part where you drew an anchor on your wrist for a week straight

    ReplyDelete