05 October 2009

Home Alone



My mom is away at a work conference for 5 days. So, for 5 days my father is all alone. Well, he is not really alone since he has his best friend, Chaya. Chaya is our dog that my parents named after their favorite restaurant. Yeah, you read that correctly, we named our dog after a freaking restaurant.

When my mom first broke the news that she was leaving my dad, I panicked. Really? Is that a good idea? Once she left him home alone for 3 nights and whenever Eric and I called to “check in” he would be sleeping. He used this time to see if it was possible to sleep for 72 hours straight.

So, at 8 am PT I called home to make sure he was up. No answer. Called again and again…no answer. After freaking out and calling Eric, we finally located him…at work. Our dad went to work all by himself!


Naturally, I asked him about his upcoming plans. Here is what I learned---

  • Last night he made enough spaghetti and meat sauce for the entire week
  • He bought Chaya a rotisserie chicken at Gelson’s
  • For lunches, he brought in a loaf of bread and salami (he is going to alternate between mayo and mustard for variety)
  • He is planning on wearing the same sweater all week without a button down shirt to save on the dry cleaner bill
  • Every morning he is going to have hot chocolate for breakfast with real milk and whip cream
  • He cannot come home before dark because he owes the pool man money and needs my mom to pay him
  • The pool man found the lights for the pool (we have lived in the same house for 15 years) so he is going to swim at night (note, my father likes to snorkel in our pool, flippers and all)
  • He found a dead rat and wants to perform an autopsy like he sees on NCIS and then leave it on my mom’s side of the bed for a welcome home surprise
  • He is still depressed and wants a Rangers hoodie and hat
P.S. He just emailed me, "I forgot to tell you but I did a “clay” mask last night."
My dad LOVES masks

1 comment:

  1. Alison, the posts about your dad made me laugh so hard I cried (a couple times). Priceless stuff. By the way, this is Jess Horine, Jason's wife. Hi!

    ReplyDelete